Coral Gables, Florida
Bermuda Village is a grouping of 22 single-family courtyard residences and two duplex compounds arranged in the form of two small city blocks. Rendered in a tropical Bermuda style, the village was created in the spirit of the City’s original exotically-themed residential “villages” built in the 1920’s by developer George Merrick. The homes are typically grouped in clusters of three to four, only attaching at narrow, single-story junctures. A continuous garden wall lines the sidewalks and connects the houses and their courtyards. A private, one-way street bisects the 3.3 acre parcel and creates two blocks whose rear alley courts accommodate garage access, additional guest parking, and the utilities for these units. At the heart of the village sits a community pool and pocket park that contains one of the several existing stands of live oaks and pine trees that were preserved.